Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Fire Emblem Music Hacking Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

I made this several days ago but haven't gotten a chance to release it and spread it about and such.

This tutorial teaches you how to take a MIDI and insert it into a Fire Emblem game. THe process can also be applied to most any other GBA game, but it is MEANT for Fire Emblem.

There are 2 formats: A PDF or a DOC (MS Word). Use whatever you like the best.

If you are using this tutorial for any purpose please tell me. I just want to know who makes use of the tutorial and whatnot. Just make a quick post and I'd really appreciate it. I want people to use it obviously (or I wouldn't make it) but at the same time I don't want people like, leeching, and I want to know if people actually make use of this stuff.

Thanks and hopefully this will come in handy to many people. If you have any questions, ask here, on the shoutbox, in a separate thread, or through AIM. I'll do my best to help.

- Blazer

Fire Emblem Music Hacking Tutorial [DOC]
Fire Emblem Music Hacking Tutorial [PDF]

(Last Updated January 30th, 2010)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 Blademaster

Blademaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

Blademaster from FEU here. Just wanted to say that I got what I wanted to import working fine for the most part except for some reason the more the song seems to repeat in a row, the worse the quality gets. Also, the song doesn't play in Sappy. It's not that big a deal for me really since the song is meant to be a battle theme anyway so it really only needs to play once.

Also, when you were talking about the pointers in the B2* pointer B1* section of chapter 7 of the tutorial, you made a typo. It's right here: "For example, one of my tracks is at 0x11EBFF0. The repeat for that would be [this is where the typo is>]B2 F0 FB E1 09 B1[<this is where the typo is]." It's small, but it can confuse people who don't know how pointers work exactly.

Awesome tutorial. And thanks for all the help!

#3 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:07 AM

Ah, right, dangit, I have to re-upload everything now for that one typo! lolfail

I'm really happy that you got it to work. I was honestly thinking nobody would understand it... sleep.gif

As for the repeating thing, it's probably because of messed up repeat codes. Make sure each track's repeat bytes are correct and that the pointer points to the beginning of that track. It could also be that you didn't properly align all the tracks which would mean that each track repeats at a different time.

I hope you fix your problem (or at the least, hopefully it doesn't happen with your next attempt). I'm happy you found it useful. happy.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Bumpdate. Tutorial has been revamped. A ton. I completely redid several sections and added various more sections. I also added a shortened version of the full tutorial (although it's still an exceptionally long tutorial and has lots of text).

Please see the first post.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:49 AM

Wut happened to the web page option?

#6 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:36 AM

Didn't feel like putting it up with the new release, is it really important? >_<

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#7 Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

Hit by a meteor

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:Inside a giant Mecha, fighting monsters in your city.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:20 AM

Ohhh, I saw it! Really nice update, blazer, the part on the commands is reeeeeealy something else! ohmy.gif

Seriously, adding info on voicegroups and samples would turn this into the ultimate sound hacking tutorial, it is THAT good. I recommend it for a pinning, and even a site update. XD(or at least it being mentioned in the next update. XD)
user posted image
QUOTE (Akaihinata)
No Grey you have gay needs

QUOTE (Holy Kensai)
BECAUSE HE CAN CREATE ALL LIFE AND ALL EXISTANCE, BUT HE NEEDS YOUR MONEY!

#8 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

I want to finish up some other stuff before I make a mainsite update with it.

I lack permission to release the program I have that I use to insert sounds. I do have some information on instrument maps ("voice groups" as you call them) but it's very little. I may very well add it in the future, once I get enough to call it worthy, as well as add some notes on sound effects.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#9 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:04 AM

Can I get the formula for pointers to instruments in voicegroups?
I need it to relocate your patch's data.

#10 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:06 AM

Stop using the term 'voicegroups'... and ask questions more clearly... are you talking about the format for instrument maps?

If so that can get pretty complex and I only know a little bit of it. Also there are way too many pointers for you to repoint the data... it would take you 6-7 hours without a program to automatically do it for you (and creating said program would also take at least 5 hours assuming you have experience, it could take days though...).

I can't help you with relocating the patch's data, I'm not going to attempt such a feat or even attempt to figure out how it might work...

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#11 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:20 AM

Yes I meant the instrument map.

in FE8, the pointer to the electric guitar instrument in the instrument
map, which I got from following a tut, was "00 3C 00 00 00
E3 4C 08 FF 00 FF A5". I want to know how this works. Does
it point to an offset like common pointers, or is it more
complicated? If It's the first, then which offset would this
point to?

I would take a while to do that, but it would take even longer
to re-insert the animations that I put in my ROM.

#12 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

Urgh, I can't stand how you press enter so early... UGH I don't even feel like helping you with it because it's so annoying... Sorry but it's just a pet peeve, it's not you it's me

What you see there is the basic format for an instrument pointer, the middle 4 bytes point to the actual sample of the instrument, or possibly a voice clip or something else. I can't say I'm sure what the "A5" is for. It could have to do with different note pitches or something. I haven't really gotten myself into such things. I just keep it as

00 3C 00 00 PP PP PP PP FF 00 FF 00

Of course little endian is applied to the instrument map, just wanted to remind you of that...

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#13 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

Haha sorry. it's easier for me to read lines that length because I don't really have too run my eyes horizontally at all.
Anyways, that answers my question. Thanks a ton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users